6 strategic ways to use secret Pinterest boards for your business
Pinterest is our happy place! It’s where we go to get great ideas for content, find blogs for furthering our knowledge and of course we love to pin “all the things” for our community, kids, home and holidays. Pinterest is a super fun search engine…
Pinterest is our happy place! It’s where we go to get great ideas for content, find blogs for furthering our knowledge and of course we love to pin “all the things” for our community, kids, home and holidays. Pinterest is a super fun search engine that can really help you with your content strategy not only for your business but also your team. We use a bunch of secret boards for numerous reasons and today we’re going to share why we use them and how you can too.
A secret board on Pinterest is exactly that – a board that you create which no one else can see but you. It’s like an online diary that you keep under lock and key unless you invite someone else to join your board to collaborate (the invites are sent to them via email) or decide to switch the board to public. You can have an unlimited amount of secret boards which is pretty awesome! Pins that are in secret boards will not appear anywhere else on Pinterest and you can only share them if you switch the board to public. To create a secret board, after you click on Boards, you can either click on the ‘Create board’ link near the top left corner of your existing boards (be sure to toggle settings to Secret) OR simply scroll to the bottom of your boards and click on the red plus sign in the secret board section. These boards will already be set to secret:
Now that you know how to create a secret board and what they’re all about, let’s talk strategy!
With secret boards you can:
1. Gather content Secret boards are a great place to pin things that you want to use later for your business such as inspirational quotes, funny memes and blog posts. We prefer to use CinchShare’s Save feature so that they are already in our accounts to schedule out in a jiffy or store them to refer to and design our own branded images with the Design with Canva button, but you can use a secret board too – we have a few ourselves for our 80/20 content!
2. Share amazing ideas Create a secret board for your team and invite them all to join and collaborate with you. You’ll all have fun pinning together and can come up with great ideas for recruiting, booking, host coaching and more – with an unlimited amount of boards you can have several for each topic – now that is some serious organization!
3. Plan for events Secret Pinterest boards are awesome for planning your in-home or Facebook parties (think themes!), vendor event table displays, team and company retreats and holiday parties. Mums the word here folks! No one will see your private plans unless you invite them to take a peek.
4. Grab insight from others Do you have a Pinterest crush on someone who has boards with absolutely fantastic content and you want to pin everything but don’t want them to think you’re a stalker? Simple solution – secret board! They won’t know you are pinning their pins and we promise that we won’t tell either!
5. Get to know your customer Create a secret board that acts as an avatar. What does your ideal customer like/want/need? Having a board where you can privately pin what would be of value to her/him will help you stay focused and remain in “service mode”, guiding you to create content that will peak their interest which in turn will have them seeing you as a resource.
6. Prepare your public boards Secret boards are a great way to begin a new board that you want to make public. People won’t follow a board that has only a few pins so we suggest starting out with a secret board and pinning at least a dozen pins to it before you switch it over to public for the world to see. *CinchTip: Funnel your Pinterest audience to your Facebook group, page, blog or website by pinning them from your CinchShare account!
We can’t wait to hear how these strategies work for you! Please let us know in the comments and be sure to follow us on Pinterest!